Friday, April 29, 2016

And the Adventures continue . . .

Like many expats in Abu Dhabi, we planned to stay for 2-3 years . . .  and it's now been more than 5. When we left home, we figured a 2-3 year adventure would be fun and then we'd come back home and pick up again. I even remember initially thinking I might take a sabbatical from my job and come right back to it. But that's jut not how things have worked out for us. The adventure of 2-3 years has turned into more than 5 and our plans to return home and pick up where we left off seems silly now.

About a year ago, we started to get the 'itch' to leave the land of sand and started exploring our options. We talked about everything from going back home, moving somewhere else and even trying to retire early and get part-time jobs as beach bums in Thailand. We weren't in a hurry and knew that, like all of our previous adventures, something would come along.

And something did. We'll be leaving Abu Dhabi in June to continue our adventures in Bristol, UK which is about 2 hours southwest of London. Why Bristol? Hubby's job - he'll be establishing his company's European office which will be located in Bristol. A great career opportunity for him and another great adventure for us.

So, it's now packing and sorting and selling and searching while June zooms closer every day. What seemed to take forever to come to pass is now speeding ahead too quickly, but that's how it always is. I gave notice at work on April Fool's Day (it just felt right!) and my last day will be June 2nd. Yes, two months notice required here for my position and level! I'm using the two months to transition a bunch of projects, clean out my desk and get my CV in shape for the next round of job hunting. Yeah, that's the bummer part - no way I can stay with my current employer and work from Bristol so I'll be looking again for a new job.

The kitties will come along of course and so we're working on getting their vaccinations up to date, new microchip for Rogue (apparently the UK can't read the one we did in US before she came here) and one for Petra too. Poor Petra, how will she cope with that thin soft fur built for Abu Dhabi summers? I may have to take up knitting so I can make her some sweaters.

And June is the perfect time to head out - as the horrible heat and humidity start to get unbearable. It honestly is my number 1 reason for leaving. I'll miss some of the glitz and glam of UAE and, of course, the people, but I definitely will not miss those summers. No, not even as my wellies grow mold from the damp of UK winters!

So now you're up to date. I suppose I'll need to start a new blog for this new adventure . . . Bristol Adventures? Tales from the rain puddle? I'll have to give this some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment